Thursday 7 July 2011

Rome

After a sleepless flight I arrived in Rome anxious to meet Kate. As i waited, strapped in to my oversized blue backpack, I heard unfamiliar words pitter around my semi-conscious head. I was definitely overtired, slightly confused, and a part of me feared that Kate and I would never meet up. Our plan to meet outside the metro stop seemed a lot clearer before realizing their were five possible exits. To my luck, her familiar face appeared right on time and almost instantly I felt a little more at home. 

 Kate is a close friend from school and my original travel partner in crime. We would be spending the next three months together but had the company of a few tag alongs during our three weeks in Italy.  This included my cousin stephanie and kate's friends Lauren and Kristen. They would be arriving in the next few days and I will admit, a part of me feared how a group of five almost strangers would get along. 

After hugs kate and i went to our b&b, which turned out to a spare bedroom in an Italian family's home.  Three generations scurried around the house.  One warmly introduced himself while the grandma prepared a home cooked lunch for her grandchildren. We dropped our backpacks and immediately hit the streets. Spanish steps, Trevi fountain, Colosseum.  Gelato break...flavor: coffee. 

Four hours later we found ourselves  in Trastevere, a quieter section located outside the busy city center. Famous for food, this was a point of interest since our first moments in Rome. The area was slightly tucked off a main road and was spotted with tarnished shades of yellow, orange, and red. The buildings seemed to mimic the setting sun as we gazed down each street. Flowers hung from balconies and restaurants cornered each turn, reminding us that our first Roman meal was in order. We settled on a small pizzeria and shared two pizzas: one margarita and one with pancetta and olives. It was delicious and the carafe of house white wine was so good that even now, eight days later, we are still kicking ourselves for not finding out its name. It was one of the best wines I ever had, perfectly balanced and clean.  

It wasn't until 11:00pm that we finally made it back to our b&b. By then I was so tired that it took every inch of energy just to take a shower. After 28 hours without sleep I was exhausted, sweaty, and slightly delirious.

In the days to come the other girls would arrive. To my surprise we all instantly connected and i was amazed with how comfortable we became around each other. Friendships grew quickly and it seemed as though this trip of five (only two of whom i previously knew) was destined to happen. Through our time together we visited a number of sites, trekked over an hour for the city's best pizza (it was!), ate gelato for lunch four days in a row, and sat by the Tiber river drinking wine and learning about one another. 

As our time in Rome came to end I was sad to leave and amazed with how fast the first five days passed by. As we awaited for our train we grabbed food from an incredible market located a few blocks from the station. Surrounded by fresh produce and the aroma of salty fish i gazed around and took in as much as possible. From giant blocks of cheese to cow tongue and morning baked bread I floated between isles until time forced us to leave. The days in Rome marked the beginning of new friendships and this amazing journey. The company was great, the food always good, and the wine consistently flavorful. Six months  in the making I was finally here and all I could do was smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment